Academic and professional writing is immensely important component of college curriculum. Students are assigned to write extraordinary essays, cause and effect essay, good papers, conduct researches, analysis. Results should be presented in clear academic language. To convey ideas and points clearly, the experienced writer applies transition words and phrases. Transition words and phrases are important elements. They display relationships between different parts of one sentence or abstracts within one text. They help introduce idea, result, contrast, creating coherent text.
Most students know that transition words and phrases are like bridges between long sentences. Numerous articles have been dedicated to this topic on trustworthy resources. It is the fact - not every student understands the difference. They tend to misuse words used to express different purposes or make connections between sentences. Following article will give you a better understanding of classification and usage of linking words. You will find how to write texts that are easy to read.
Transition Words and Phrases Classification
Correct usage of linking phrases depends on how well you understand their meaning. The better you know how to write paragraphs using them, the more effective it is. Each transition phrase has its purpose, idea and influence upon the reader; words can be split into four main categories with subcategories. In each category, the words are classified depending on what you (writer) want to show.
At large, category includes words and phrases that add idea, introduce or show similarity with something that has been mentioned in abstract or sentence before.
The category is divided into six subcategories with various purpose and reason:
Sometimes students experience difficulties with words giving reference – speaking about (this), considering (this), with regards to (this), etc., which is basically the tool to return back to a specific idea, go forward, or emphasize the connection.Examples:
- Speaking about wedding, I loved the dress of the bride!
- John has never been to England before. Let alone, London.
- Doctor James spent three years working on his report; moreover, he did not ask anyone to help him. He did everything on his own.
- To tell the truth, I was reluctant that I was not invited to the dinner; I did not want to see his family.
- Merry was not a movie lover; for instance, last time we went to see a movie, she was complaining about neighbours eating popcorn.
- The contract covers force majeure cases, including fire, storm, heavy rains, and earthquakes.
Adversative transitional words are used waiting for-and-against essays. To make the text coherent presenting contradictory points or facts, the writer uses adversative transitions. He/she introduces traditional view. He/she gives the reader a reasonable argument supporting another idea. Reading text, you can feel smooth transition from one sentence to another. This category lists words and phrases to make emphasis, present contrary arguments, make concession, dismissal, and, finally, replacement.Examples:
- Products grown without any biochemical are healthier. Yet, it is difficult to protect them from insects.
- It is difficult to find a good lawyer these days, but, once, you have found one, you will get a decent legal support regarding any matter.
- We have not received response form the commission yet. In any case, we will continue working on this project.
- The candidate must have a good command of Italian, or at least, upper-intermediate level to prepare and submit reports.
This category is subdivided into different subcategories to put emphasize and show cause, reason, effect, result, and purpose. These linking words present consequence and condition and create coherent relationships. Causal transitional phrases create smooth transition from one sentence to another; they make it understandable and logical to read.Examples:
- As a result of bad weather, numerous flights have been delayed.
- For the purpose of gathering technical staff members of the board, human resources department is obliged to reschedule our meeting.
- On condition that the results are positive, we will have a small party to celebrate.
- In order to get the parcel by the deadline, I called the agency twice but nobody answered.
The last important category left is sequential transitional words. The category includes subcategories, mainly, numerical, continuation, conclusion, digression, resumption, and summation categories. This group shows chronological sequence, summarizes what has been stated before, or help add logical sequence.Examples:
- First of all, I would like to express gratitude to everyone, who participated in this exhibition.
- To summarize, I would like to say that finally, we have made a great discovery that will help cure this disease.
- To get back to the point, please look at the second slide again.
If you still in doubt and do not know how to use transitional elements properly - find professional writer's help!
Usage of Transitions
Effectiveness of the text depends on correct usage of transition words. To present ideas clearly, writer should feel where to use specific word that will create a link. Excessive usage of transitions makes the text “cluttered”. Before you start working on your essay or paper, consider which ideas and the order in which you want to present them. Think of links you can use to make connection between ideas. Transitional words and phrases will help you create corresponding relationships. Do not forget about logical summary; it is important to remember - the same transition should not be used many times. Use words from the same category and subcategory, if you need to make a similar link. Instead of using the word “finally” twice, you can use “in summary” or “in conclusion”.
The right usage of linking phrases will improve your academic writing skills and increase scores that your papers and essays get. Write texts that are efficient, easy to read and logical.