ASA Style or American Sociological Association format style is the formatting style which is known as one of the most usable and popular format styles among students who are studying in the field of sociology. It is also used by sociology scholars and academicians in their works.
If you are a scholar or a student and you are going to publish your work in ASA journals, and need some ASA citation format tips, then this author guide is what you need. Read it, find out everything about ASA format and make your paper look perfect using these tips.
What is ASA Format?
American Sociological Association, is known as one of the main organizations for sociologists on the territory of the United States of America. What is ASA format? ASA formatting style is a style which is used for composing research papers in the field of sociology. Usually, it is focused on bibliography and footnotes, but it affects all the work starting from the first page. ASA format of the research or another academic paper defines some standards and assists authors and students in their writing when they are planning to make ASA publications. Find the tips on how to write in ASA format below.
ASA Format: Main Tips
The method for citation can differ depending on the referenced material. Although now you can use machines for it, it’s good to be aware of some basics.
- Your research paper should include a title;
- Set one-inch margin on every side;
- All pages should have numbers;
- The author should use 12-point font: Arial, Times New Roman, other classical fonts;
- Use only black color in your research;
- All the text should be double-spaced;
- Follow ASA paper format rules, indicate your name on the cover page. Sometimes it’s important to indicate it on every page. Search the website of the journal for this information;
- Divide your research paper into the paragraphs and separate parts which should have subtitles. The number of paragraphs depends on the topic. You can find interesting topics for your research paper here;
- Make subtitles bold;
- Your research should be of the next formats: doc, .pdf, .rtf, .html. Check the website of the journal for additional information;
- You can use the quotation which consists of one or two lines as a regular sentence in the body, but you need to apply quotation marks;
- Try not to use footnotes with endnotes at the same time;
- Pay attention to references in the ASA citation format.
ASA Bibliography Format
It is crucial aspect of ASA format citation. Every source you use to make your research paper should be included to separate References page according to ASA bibliography format. Write all literature in an alphabetical order and write the surnames of the authors first. Then write their names. It means you should alphabetize sources by authors’ last names.
References Page: 7 Main Advices
- The reference page appears at the end of your research paper;
- This page should have the name "References", which is centered at the top;
- Start the reference list on a new page;
- Use the double-spaced text format for reference page;
- Invert the names of authors;
- Each cited source in the paper should be included in the reference page;
- Don’t include sources you haven’t used use in your research to your references page.
It is not easy to write a good research paper and ASA citation format doesn’t seem simple. That’s why sometimes it’s better to order the paper from professional writers.
How to Cite in ASA Format Correctly?
We know that you have a lot of questions. We’ll try to tell you how to cite in ASA format, just keep reading. If you are familiar with Chicago or APA style, you can master ASA citation format easy because you’ll find them quite similar. It gives the requirements and instructions which gives the writers the opportunity to organize the research paper for a publication. Here we will notice the most crucial things.
When you need to use in-text citations, situate them close to their sources: indicate the information on the author and the date of publication using parentheses.
Citations of Electronic Sources
A good ASA format sample paper includes many online sources which are cited correctly. How to do it?
- Write sources which won’t be changed in the print form;
- Add only the basic elements of the online source;
- Add the URL of the webpage of the publication which includes the name of the author, name of the article/book, year of the publication.
When you decide to add the abstract devote a separate page to it. It should have a one-paragraph length (maximum 200 words) and should appear just after the title page. Do not indicate author on it, the title should be repeated as a heading.
The next information should be included in the Title page:
- Title of the research paper;
- Authors' name;
- Name of the institution where the author is working or studying;
- Running head;
- Title footnote;
- Word count of your research paper. To make sure that you made your title page perfect, find the ASA format example paper and check. You can also find tips on how to write A+ research paper here.
Give consecutive Numbers to tables, figures: Table 1, Table 2, Figure 1, Figure 2, etc. It is important that each figure/table should be at the end of the paper on the separate page. Give the descriptive title which is able to explain the reader enough details about it so that he could understand it without the text. Don’t use abbreviations and spell percent as a word not a sign when you use it in headings.
These quick formatting tips will help you to learn how to cite in ASA format. But it’s responsible work and it’s a good idea to delegate it to professional writers and order from them.
ASA Citation Format: Footnotes and Endnotes
You can use footnotes and endnotes to add important information regarding figures and tables in the text or to cite publications of limited availability. Use them both sparingly and never mix them, choose only one type of citation. What is the difference between them?
- The authors place endnotes at the end of the research paper and devote the separate section to it;
- Footnotes are situated at the bottom of each page where they are being referenced.
If there is a necessity of using endnotes/footnotes give them numbers consecutively throughout your paper using Arabic numerals.
The American Sociological Association format requires formatting of your research paper and following rules. It is not really easy but in this article, we tried to give you useful information and tips using which you can succeed with it. If you still have questions, feel free to ask them in the comments below and our professional writers will answer them with pleasure.