The recent research has shown that nowadays students attitude to higher education has overcome a dramatic shift. Youngsters aged 18-24 studying full-time on a campus is not a standard model of student anymore. In our modern society people don’t see higher education as something unique and independent. Now we all try to combine it with jobs, travelling, and family. But still we try to do everything possible in order to obtain some degree in higher education, because in finding a prestigious position higher education is a must. For those who want to have time to do as much as possible, online education comes in handy. This way of studying is gaining popularity among all people of different age and social status. A lot of universities have different online courses where qualified teachers provide you with profound knowledge of your particular subject (for example you can know how to write an essay or what is research report). Unfortunately, some people consider these courses a complete waste of time and money. Just because you have more conservative views and got used to the old-fashioned way of studying at the university doesn’t mean that Internet education is only for lazy and unmotivated people. On the contrary, only advanced, active and highly motivated people give a priority to the online education and in this article you will see why it is so.
Why is it good?
In our fast-moving world and highly developed technologies people can receive a proper education everywhere and at any time. Online courses are extremely popular now. Let’s see why more and more people prefer this way of studying.
- Possibility to study at any time. The student who studies remotely can independently decide when is the most suitable time during a semester to dedicate to studying. He creates his individual schedule. Some educational institutions give students an opportunity to postpone studying for long term and to come back to it needlessly to pay again educational services.
- Possibility to create your own style of studying. Remote students don't have to worry that they will lag behind the classmates. It is always possible to return to studying of more difficult questions, to look at video lectures several times, to re-read correspondence with the teacher, and already known topics can be passed. The main task is to successfully pass intermediate and total certifications.
- Possibility to study everywhere. Students can study without leaving the house or office. To start the course you just need to have a computer and access to the Internet. Lack of necessity to visit educational institution daily is an undoubted plus for physically disabled people, for those who live in the remote districts or parents with small children.
- Combine studying with your primary activity. Online education gives you a chance to take up several courses at the same time or to get the next higher education. In this case it isn't necessary to take or to go to business trips. There are special educational organizations which will organize corporate training (professional development) for the office staff and civil servants. In this case study doesn't interrupt the seniority, and the studied material can be applied to work at once.
- High results. The research of the American scientists has shown that the results of distance learning don't concede or even surpass results of traditional forms of education. The remote student mostly studies independently. It improves storing and understanding of the covered topics. And opportunity to put knowledge into practice at once helps to consolidate them. Besides, the use of the latest technologies makes it more interesting and lively.
- Availability of materials. Remote students don’t face such problem as shortage of textbooks. The access to all necessary literature is opened to the student after registration on the site of university, or he may receive training materials by mail.
- Remote education is cheaper. If we compare internal and remote studying, the second will be cheaper. The student shouldn't pay the road, accommodation, and in a case with foreign higher education institutions it isn't necessary to spend money on visa and the international passport.
- Convenient for the teachers. Teachers and tutors who work remotely can dedicate time to the bigger amount of students and continue work even having a maternity leave.
- Individual approach. Usually teachers can’t provide their students with the descent attention during the class, but during the online education teacher will work with you individually and spend as much time as you need.
Why is it bad?
Of course, nothing is perfect and online courses have their own disadvantages, but they are not so terrible and you can live with them.
- The strong motivation is necessary. Practically the remote student masters all training material independently. It demands the developed will power, responsibility and self-checking. Not everybody manage to maintain the necessary rate of training without control from the outside.
- Lack of practical knowledge. Studying remotely the professions which assume a large number of a practical training is complicated. Even the most modern technologies won't replace to future doctors or teachers the "live" practice.
- Remote education isn't suitable for developing a communicative skill. At distance learning personal contact between students and teachers is very low, and sometimes it is even absent. Therefore such form of education isn't suitable for developing the communicative skill, confidence or team work.
All in all, it is clear that online education is definitely a rescue for those who don’t have a chance to visit higher institutions due to lack of time, money or may be desire. So if you want to obtain a degree of higher education, you have an opportunity to do it even at home.