Are you staring at a blank page on the screen unable to write at least a single word? Wondering how to start an essay about yourself? Need advice on how to start a college essay that will make a strong impression on the readers and bring you a better grade?
Keep reading to find an answer to your question. In this article, we will discuss different general strategies on how to start an essay and draw attention of your audience. You will discover useful information about effective ways to start a good essay and make your audience want to read your story to the end. Let’s begin with general ideas.
How to Start an Essay: Key Points to Consider
Have no idea how to start a narrative essay for high school? looking for a good paper sample that you can follow in your writing? Don’t know how to start an analytical essay? Writing an effective opening paragraph that will inform, motivate your reader can be challenging for schoolchildren, college students. It is an important step in the writing process.
What strategy should you use to avoid mistakes? You should remember the purpose of your writing – persuade readers of your point of view based on evidence from in-depth research. You should consider the following to succeed.
- At the beginning, you have to tell the public what your paper is about; you should introduce your subject clearly.
- You should focus your paper and explain your audience what the central issue of your discussion is. You can do it in a number of ways. You can pose a question, immediately suggest the answer that you are going to argue; you can state a thesis; you can combine these two approaches. It’s up to you which way to choose. When you are thinking how to begin an essay, you should take steps to make your readers fully understand why they might want to continue reading. This is the key.
- You have to catch your reader’s attention with a hook - encourage him/her to read the entire paper. Your goal is to persuade the audience that your text is worth reading.
- You should orient your readers. You need to provide necessary information and explanations to help your audience follow your arguments. You can do it by answering basic questions of who, where, what, how, when, and why or by providing a short overview of the sources you’ll be analyzing.
6 Engaging Ways to Start a Good Essay
What makes a strong opening for an academic paper? How to start an essay introduction that captures reader’s interest and attention? There are countless ways to start a good essay. Here are some common effective introductory strategies you can use to begin your academic papers.
- Need a piece of advice on how to start a persuasive essay? Give interesting or shocking facts about the subject.
- Ask a question related to the subject of your paper then answer it immediately; you can invite your readers to think about the answer.
- Don’t know how to start an informative essay? Define the thesis statement directly - introduce your thesis statement as the latest discovery or revelation.
- Begin with a joke, riddle, funny anecdote, or a quotation - show how it reveals important features of your subject or helps describe it.
- Include several sentences to describe your paper’s setting.
- Establish a contrast between the present and the past or between image and reality. Use this technique if you are thinking how to start an argumentative essay. Looking for interesting argumentative paper topics? Check other articles on our blog where you can find a list of the best argumentative essay topics for college students.
Wondering how these strategies work? Order a model paper on your topic that will be written according to your specific requirements. It will serve you as an example to help you learn how to start writing an essay.
How to Start Writing an Essay: 4 Easy Tips to Help You Get Started
College essays are long projects. Sometimes, many people find them overwhelming but if you break the writing process into small parts and try to complete your draft step by step, you can expect you will feel more confident and work more productively. Let’s discuss how to start writing an essay, making manageable steps.
- First, choose a topic that you find intriguing
- Define the purpose of your project and evaluate your options. The most successful strategy is to write about a subject that you are passionate about.
- Do a research and study the existing literature.
- Before you begin writing, make a detailed outline to organize your thoughts, sort your ideas into certain categories, and determine natural links between your ideas. Now you are ready to write an introduction.
Tip #1 How to start an essay introduction
To attract your readers’ attention, begin your introduction with an attention grabber and add a couple of sentences that lead to your thesis. Use one of the strategies that we’ve discussed. Finally, use the outline or a mind map of your ideas and create a thesis statement – a sentence that tells your audience about the point you will be arguing in your paper. A thesis is the last sentence of your introduction.
You may need to return to your introduction after you’ve finished the final draft to clarify the focus, change, and rewrite the beginning of your paper several times to ensure that you are able to engage your readers and establish your authority.
Tip #2 How to start an essay with a quote
It’s a rather popular way to begin an essay. You should find the right quote that fits your purpose and use it within the framework of your own words. How to start an essay with a quote? Here are some quick tips.
- Avoid overused quotations and clichés because they will bore your audience and make them think that you’re lazy.
- Explain how the quote connects to your point.
- Select a quotation that your audience can understand and relate to.
- Make sure the quote fits the tone of your academic paper.
- When introducing a quote, always acknowledge the source. Follow the requirements of a specific citation style.
- No matter what sort of opening you choose, make sure it is related to the focus of your paper and helps establish the context or plays a significant part in your thinking and analysis. Your opening should be clear, direct, and specific. Try to avoid too broad and general openings because they can make your paper look boring.
Tip #3 How to start a paragraph in an essay
The next step is writing the body paragraphs. Talking about how to start a paragraph in an essay, we should say that all body paragraphs will have the similar basic structure. Write one of your main ideas in the outline as a topic sentence in a paragraph. Then, add supporting ideas. Back each supporting idea with relevant examples, statistics, and other details and make sure you provide enough information to link these smaller ideas together. You will have to write as many body paragraphs as you have main ideas in your outline.
Tip #4 How to start a conclusion for an essay
We’ve come to your paper’s final part. Let’s discuss how to start a conclusion for an essay. The length of a conclusion depends on the length of your paper and its complexity and there is no any set formula how to do it right.
Your task is to review the key points and provide a final perspective on your subject. Write 3 to 5 strong sentences. Make sure they reinforce your thesis statement and briefly remind your readers about the significance of your topic and the research you have conducted. After writing your conclusion, check your paper’s organization and logical flow of ideas, paying attention to the smallest details. Fix grammar, punctuation, and spelling mistakes.
As you see, writing high-scoring essays can be complicated and time-consuming but we hope that our simple tips on how to start a good essay will help you succeed in creating impressive beginnings for your admissions, argumentative, persuasive and other types of essays.
Need Professional Help to Understand How to Begin an Essay?
Lack great ideas for a powerful introductory paragraph? Order a custom paper written by an experienced writer on our site and forget about your worries. If you face a problem with completing a difficult task assigned to you by your teacher or university professor, take advantage of well-written professional examples that we offer to students of all academic levels.
Wondering how they can be helpful? Using them, you will get a perfect understanding of how to start an essay on your topic, write a good introduction, organize your argument in the body paragraphs, create an impressive conclusion, back your points with appropriate evidence and quotes from relevant sources. We will provide you with perfectly written model papers that can help you in creating your own writings. Our experts are ready to help you 24/7.