All students face different problems and challenges during their studying. Exam session is known as the most important among them. And writing assignments can be put in the second place. Case studies have become an essential part of university programs and an extremely useful tool for researching trends and different specific situations in many existing disciplines.
There are different purposes of writing such assignments. You can do it for business purposes and academic needs when you are preparing your home task.
What do we know about case studies?
In general, a case study is a kind of deep research or investigation of a particular subject or a particular situation in some field of knowledge. It helps to make a broad field or subject of the research narrower and to put all facts, the persuasive arguments and data into one topic that can be easily researched.
The case study enables its authors to transform some theoretical things into those which could be applied in the real circumstances. It means that its main goal is to find out if the theories can actually work in the situations in the real world.
For many scientists such as social scientists, anthropologists, and psychologists this kind of researches has become a great way of investigation many years ago. But in recent years, this type of writing assignments has become popular among economists, programmers, and marketers.
What is a case study?
A good case study is always data-based. It means that only a real data, information and numbers can become a trustworthy base. A case study, which can get high grades should contain investigations, tests, examinations of the subject which all together can ensure accurate and reliable report and valid results. You should present every important detail of your research in the final version of your case study.
Main characteristics of case studies
It has to be significant
Every case should be considerable and individualized. It should describe an unusual subject or the subject of general interest for many people.
It should be complete
Completeness is an important part of every assignment. It should contain complete series of researches, surveys or laboratory experiments. This feature can be characterized by the connection between the subject that is studied and the context of the subject, its real meaning. The completeness can also be proved by the set of facts and evidence. If the text is complete, the research base should demonstrate that the author had done all he could to collect all relevant information, data, and evidence. A good article can also be characterized by the absence of different artificial conditions.
It should take into consideration alternative perspectives
The author should present different perspectives in an adequate way. That means that the author should look for those different alternatives.
It should display sufficient data and evidence
The good case study should contain all relevant data, facts, and evidence. It enables the reader of the text to make an independent judgment that is based only on the unbiased and honest analysis.
The author should also present enough numbers and evidence in order to gain the reader’s assurance and confidence in the fact that the investigator knows what he talks about.
It must be composed in an attractive manner
For such assignments, this feature actually means that the author should use a clear writing style and attractive words choice which can motivate the reader to continue his reading.
How to compose a great case study?
The case study as all other texts has its distinctive parts, features, and style. The easiest way is to order it online. Or use the next tips in order to make the process more effective and the text more attractive.
- First of all, set the main problem, a location, circumstances or a situation in which you will research a subject of the case study;
- After the problem is already set, compose an outline of the text. Don’t forget about all important factors. What will be the subject of your investigation, what is the timing, persons who are involved, etc. What kinds of methods and what tools will you use to conduct the research?
- Give the answer to all main questions about the problem which you raise in your text. Put them all into one logical line. This logical connection will help you to find out what will be the best beginning and what issues should you tucked away at the end;
- Use clear terminology and attractive writing style. All words that you use in your text should be clear and should have one meaning. So use clear words. It doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t use specific terminology. But you should take into account the level of training of the reader and his material possessions;
- Provide a set of questions. Ask yourself all questions that the reader may ask you. They can help to decide which information should be processed, which evidence may be useful for the research and should be taken into account. Providing these questions, you will see all perspectives and you will be able to find out what data should be analyzed during the research;
- Provide calculations and proposals. Decide which analytical method you will use, which calculations you will conduct. Present them in your research. This will make it easier to withdraw results and to find out the connection between the results, proposals, and calculations.
- Set out the main aims and goals of your case study;
- Collect all elements of information base together: all data, facts, numbers, records, questions, should have the same logic;
- Make sure that all elements of the information base are correct: all the information should be presented in the same format or in the formats that are compatible with each other;
- Present the results which reflect the basic idea and the problems of the case study. After the results are ready, make sure that the whole case study is composed in the same conditions.
Main types of case studies
There are so many types of case studies. The type of the case study depends on the goals, terms, the subjects and objectives of the investigation, other circumstances. It is impossible to cover all types in a single article, but let’s look at the most important types.
According to the topics
- Cultural - contributed to the general understanding of main social ideas, beliefs, reality and social values;- contributed to the general understanding of main social ideas, beliefs, reality and social values;
- Economic – this type of case studies is devoted to the economic and financial aspects of the company’s activities;
- Environmental - devoted to the environmental issues, management of the environment, (texts about environmental pollution, resources, climate changes, etc.);
- Health – texts about the prevention of illnesses, the public health, quality of life, and life expectancy;
- Political – case studies about policies, politicians, policy makers and the country and the world political stability;
- Social – the texts which are devoted to the quality of life, community welfare, activities of people;
- Technological – case studies about the technological creation of products services and processes.
According to the typology
- Idiographic - the main goal of this text is to interpret, describe and explain the main features and ideas of the subject, which helps to understand a single situation about the subject which in its turn makes broader generalization possible. Historians usually use this type for their texts;
- Inductive case studies - is a type of highly descriptive texts with lack of theoretical framework. It serves to guide the empirical analysis. This type of research can assume everything that is connected to the subject, and that explains all aspects of a problem;
- Theory-Guided - this type is also a kind of idiographic texts, which aim is to interpret or explain a single episode. These texts don’t generalize the facts. They have well-developed framework, and they focus the reader’s attention on the particular specified aspects of the subject;
- Hypothesis-Generating - unlike idiographic texts, hypothesis-generating articles have the goal to generalize the aspects of the subject beyond the data. These texts usually examine one or more cases which and that makes it possible to make general theoretical conclusions and proposals.
The process of the case study composing
The process of composing case studies consists of three main stages. Read about the short algorithm below:
- The initial stage
This is the first step. Before you start your composing process, you should conduct the preparing work:
- Read about the subject and the problem and examine them thoroughly - you should make some notes, remember and highlight all relevant data and facts;
- Focus your research on the real circumstances - you should identify the main problems which will predominate and answer to the questions like “why do these problems exist?” “who is responsible?”,”what are the reasons?”, “what is the solution?”, etc.’;
- Find several possible solutions – you can review discussions, researches, use your own experience;
- Select the way which can be a good solution – compare different situations, consider all facts and evidence, weigh all pros, and cons in order to answer the question is some particular solution effective or not?
- Preparing the draft
After gathering all the necessary information, you are ready to make a draft of your article. It should contain the next important elements:
- Introduction - here you have to identify the subject and the key problem. After that formulate the thesis and arguments and include them in the text;
- The background – you should set the circumstances like the “information background” (relevant data, facts, evidence, important issues, etc.) which can demonstrate that you have detailed and deeply researched the issue;
- Alternatives – you should show different possible alternatives of the issue; you can show even not so successful alternatives and show explain why they should be rejected, for what reasons?
- Proposals - here you should propose one specific and at the same time realistic solution to the problem. You should give the explanation why this solution was chosen and by what evidence it can be supported.
- Recommendations – give some recommendations. You can present here specific strategies which will lie if the frames of proposed solution.
- The final stage of the case study
When the composing of the draft is finished, you should read it very carefully and check it for any mistakes, inconsistencies or gaps. You should make sure that your thesis and evidence is solid, clear and consistent.
What should you do to improve your case study?
Use relevant and trustworthy data or facts
A good case study should be based on the trustworthy and real data and information. Assignments always appeal to the real situations so choose the real evidence and data, and you will strengthen your assignment. But if you are not able to present the real data try to use the data which is close to the real one.
Use clear and easy writing style
If you want to attract readers, your writing style should be easy and involving. In fact, formatting usually plays an important role. It’s hard to read a large piece of text which has no bullet points, headers, images, bolded text. So don’t forget to use these methods of text formatting when it is suitable. It will also make your text more attractive.
So, as you can see the case study is a special kind of assignment. It is aimed to show all your writing and other skills and the level of professionalism. It is a great opportunity to show that you are not only a great author, but you are also a professional in some particular field of knowledge. It is not a simple writing piece. It is a complex research which is based on the real data and evidence and includes calculations or research, the conclusion, and proposals. It’s not so easy to complete this assignment perfectly, but using the tips that are highlighted in the article can make it easier. If you still have any problems with your academic assignments fell free to ask for the professional assistance.