- Expository Essay Comprehensive Guide with Topic Ideas
- The Process of Creating a Successful Expository Essay
- Prewriting phase.
- Define structure.
- Make an essay outline.
- Write a draft.
- Polish your expository essay.
- Tips for Writing an Expository Essay
- Best Expository Essay Topics
- Expository Essay Topics for High School Students
- Topics for Expository Essays for College
- Expository Essay Topics about Education
Are you required to write an expository essay for school? Before write an essay it's better to start your work with short research. You have to understand the main purpose of writing this type of paper. In this detailed guide, you will find good tips about making expository essays. We will provide you with the entire process of writing and give some ideas how to structure your future paper, how to choose an interesting topic, how your essay should be started, how to write good thesis statement, body, and provide you with ideas of expository essay examples.
It's understandable that not each and every person has strong skills in writing. Many people waste their time and efforts to create a good expository essay, and they are not always successful. Read our detailed instruction and make an interesting expository essay to impress your teacher.
In an expository essay, students need to place detailed explanation of chosen subject using just fair analysis without personal opinion. It's possible to mark several types of this essay.
- Definition essay – explains the meaning of an object, word, or any concept. This can be work written about any kind of animal (cat, lion) or subject of our world (flowers, plane). It is possible to describe an abstract thing in our life: love, happiness, or sadness.
- Classification essay – in this paper, writer divide characteristics into groups and categories and describes each category for readers.
- Compare and contrast essay – this work shows differences and similarities between two or more subjects.
- Cause and effect essay. This work points how one thing depends on another. The author needs to choose two subjects and focus on why something has happened, and what facts and reasons caused this to happen.
- “How to” essay. This is a paper that explains the entire procedure of some process with details.
The Process of Creating a Successful Expository Essay
You have learned main goals and types of expository essay. We want to provide you with the clear and detailed plan of writing; follow this list with useful steps and tips that will help you make an interesting essay.
First of all, you need to think what information you are going to include in your future essay. Brainstorm your ideas and choose most important moments you want to explain and describe to your readers; you can read expository essay examples to get some ideas about writing. Make notes to keep in mind important things, and you won't forget anything.
Any expository essay must have a concrete structure that includes five main paragraphs. You need to start your work with an introduction where you explain the main goal of your essay to readers. Don't make this part too long, usually, it should be one page or less. The next three paragraphs are your essay's body part: you need to provide readers with details that support your thesis statement. Remember you need to prove each argument of your essay with evidence. The final paragraph is a conclusion, where you have to restate thesis and finish your work. Logical end is necessary for the successful essay, that's why this paragraph requires a lot of attention from you.
Make an essay outline.
Some students may think the outline is time-wasting for them, but it can turn to a clear plan for your future essay, so you should spend some time to create it. You will spend less time with writing if you create an outline: when you travel with a map, you know where and how to go. Put into your outline both general information and details related to your topic.
Write a draft.
It's time to make a draft of your future expository essay: use your outline and don't forget about structure – these are key moments for creating an effective expository essay. Don't worry about misprints and mistakes on this stage, think about the plot; you will have time to revise and correct your essay.
Polish your expository essay.
After you have finished your essay, it's time to re-read it and see what parts must be changed; we suggest taking some rest after you wrote an essay, and revise it with refreshed eyes. You have to check your work and find logical, grammar, and punctuation mistakes.
Tips for Writing an Expository Essay
If you feel you need more help with your expository paper, these easy and effective hints will be effective in making a successful expository essay.
- Write thesis statement at end of the introduction.
- Make sure each and every sentence of your essay is connected to the thesis.
- Paragraphs of your expository essay should be connected to each other, that's why you can write some sentences between them to make entire paper logical and smooth.
- Don't bring any new information in conclusion.
- Read assignment before you start to work on your future paper, and try to mark all important moments your teacher wants to see in your essay.
- Include a lot of information into the outline. It will be easier to write an expository essay according to a detailed plan.
- If grammar isn't your strong side, feel free to use special software to find and fix grammar errors in your expository essay.
- Ask your friend or relative to read your expository paper; you can make some corrections into your essay in accordance with their feedback.
- Avoid obvious topics and standard language, and try to be creative and extraordinary! Below, we will provide you with essay topic examples.
- Keep in mind that reader must learn something new after reading your expository essay.
Best Expository Essay Topics
We want to give you some expository essay topic ideas. You can use our ideas to make a good paper. Surf Internet to find more expository essay examples and topics by popular writers online.
Expository Essay Topics for High School Students
- How is it possible to prevent bullying in schools?
- How does the human brain evolve during years of our life?
- What causes an allergic reaction, and how is it possible to prevent it?
- How robots help people, and why they can replace people in some professions?
- Explain why some people prefer to send an email instead of direct conversation.
- Compare living in the house and in flat; write main points that make these place different.
- Why some teenagers commit suicide, and what possible ways to prevent this?
- Explain why the idea of leaving parents' house make some teenagers feel scared?
- Why kids smoke, and how teachers should react on that?
- How to write a good speech for high-school conference?
Topics for Expository Essays for College
- Describe five objects that symbolize our culture.
- What causes teenagers to fight with parents, and how is it possible to prevent this?
- Why parents' divorce causes children suffer?
- If you were an animal, which one you'd choose?
- Why it's important for any person to get driver's license?
- If you were an object, which one you'd select?
- Describe a thing that makes you happy and smiley.
- Why some kids skip school, and how their parents should react?
- If you were a flower, which one you'd choose?
- Why many people attend public libraries, even if they have the Internet at home?
Expository Essay Topics about Education
- What is the history of the education system in Great Britain?
- Explain why the education is important to each person to get.
- Explain why some students use help from writing company instead of making their papers by themselves.
- Explain how modern schools use technology in studying process.
- How can teachers give their experience to students?
- Why it's hard to motivate a modern student to study, and how to make people involved in learning?
- Explain main advantages of distance studying.
- Why it's important to study at school, even if you are not planning to enter university?
- Describe the ideal teacher of your class.
- Describe the classroom of future, and explain why you see it this way.
We hope that after reading this guide, you have got many ideas about writing your expository essay. Making such paper is not an easy job. You need a lot of time, patience, and skills to write a successful essay. Don't stop improving your skills and create many wonderful expository essays to impress your teacher and classmates!